2014-03-07

Sound Huntress 6 The Sound of Memory

February 15, 2051
Today's background music: a song I made in desert -->

Dear Diary,


I'm in a desert. There are some camels here. Riding in the jeep is a lot of fun. Bedouin people here bury the food in a stove underneath the ground and then dig them out to eat.

At 10 PM the electricity is cut off, and there is no internet, so I have nothing to do but write. Later, I was asked to hang out-- sit on the sand to count comets. I counted 7 comets in a hour. I guess we can see them because there is no pollution in the air.

One time there was a car that came towards us so we had to stand up and run. Otherwise we would have been smashed into sand. Endless miles of sand. 

Today I went to the Valley of Echoes. I sat on the top of one sand dune and glided down the hill. 
Then I heard echoes. Is that the sound of memory? Did people make sounds here? What were they trying to say?

I quickly took out my recorder and went uphill again. I captured something but it was only when I was up there in the sand that I could hear the voices coming to me from all directions. I think I heard someone singing a very old tune.

I thought of my own memory. Nowadays we can easily store our unhappy memories in a small chip and delete them. This has caused some problems in our society. People only want happy memories but I believe it is sad ones that give us some power, to learn, to embrace, and to grow.

 I found a map on a stone, it is supposed to tell me about the direction in the desert. It is indeed drawn by people in the past. So smart. There was one place that looks like there are more people in it.
Then I opened my bottle of instructions. I got some messages from home and some advice from friends. It seems people are watching my journey as I tagged myself in different places. I posted the sounds I've recorded. And I wrote back to them. "I need a company."



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Last year a participant named Chris did a post about world-building in sci-fi war stories. There are a lot of interesting things in world-building; even if it never makes it into your story per se, it still affects the metaphors people use, their daily rituals and their fears, and even how they swear/curse.

In a world where speech is forbidden (all sound?), where most people probably haven't spoken in years or even decades, what's different? What things do we take for granted in our world that wouldn't even occur to Sound Huntress or the people she meets?

Snap Shots

Get Free Shots from Snap.com